Arkansas is a Great Destination for Family Vacations on a Budget
Disconnect from the digital devices and the internet and reconnect with family in the wonder of Arkansas's natural beauty. Refresh your spirit and find fun things to do outside in Arkansas–and spend less money than the average vacation while you have a great time!
Arkansas parks are scattered across the state, from its highest peaks to the shores of lakes and streams. Overnight accommodations available in recreational parks include lodges, cabins, campgrounds with modern conveniences and even rental teepees and super fun yurts. Many of the recreational parks also offer restaurants, snack bars, hiking trails, pavilions, picnic areas, and playgrounds. Some feature marinas, swimming pools, tennis courts and boat ramps for a variety of water sports. One park even features the world's only site where you can search for diamonds and keep what you find!
All of the fun things to do outside in Arkansas are why it's a great destination for family vacations on a budget! Whether you’re looking for a weekend trip or a week-long getaway, check out these Arkansas vacation ideas to find fun for kids and adults alike!
Fun Things to Do Outside on an Arkansas Family Vacation
All of the 52 Arkansas State Parks offer lots of exciting and fun things to do outside that families, kids, seniors and nature enthusiasts will enjoy. If you are traveling with a group and would like to have a program or tour designed especially for you, first look to see what is happening on the
Arkansas Events calendar, then contact the Arkansas State Park and add these activities to your itinerary. Several parks offer step-on guides for your bus tour, free guided tours of historic sites, or
Arkansas lake tours that can be tailored to your travel group's interests and available time.
Ozark Folk Center, Mountain View
Teachers, if you see Educational Programs here that meet your classroom needs, contact Arkansas State Parks at 501-682-2187 about presenting that program in your classroom. If you would like to bring your class to the park for a memorable hands-on experience in the Arkansas outdoors, contact the individual park. For additional information, visit the
Teacher Resources section.
From Arkansas hiking and
Arkansas camping to thousands of daily park programs, you are sure to find plenty of fun things to do outside for the whole family.
- Find fun things to do outside during your visit to Arkansas State Parks: Search for Arkansas activities
by selecting the park of interest and choosing the month or range of dates when you will be visiting. You may also enter keywords to narrow your search.
- Skip the normal hotel accommodations and enjoy a family outdoor adventure with a few nights at an Arkansas campground. Find locations and nightly rates for Arkansas campgrounds now. Every adult and child can have a good time at an Arkansas campground...you’ll find plenty of outdoor recreation opportunities and might even spot some Arkansas wildlife!
- Explore the Arkansas outdoors with your family or friends, while following a hiking trail in the Arkansas State Parks.
- Enjoy an Arkansas lake tour cruise and see if you can spot an egret, heron, eagle, alligator, mink, deer, armadillo or other interesting Arkansas wildlife that can be found in and around our beautiful Arkansas lakes.
- Step back in time and discover the historic sites of Arkansas - old court houses, paddle wheel riverboats, cemeteries, archaeological sites, ceremonial centers, mound villages, museums and historic villages to name a few!
- Twenty-five Arkansas State Parks have been selected for Watchable Wildlife, a national program that identifies locations that offer unique opportunities for seeing butterflies, songbirds, ducks, geese and other Arkansas wildlife.
- A number of parks have Elderhostel programs and workshops offering camping in the Ozarks, golfing in lakeside resort parks, jet boating on the White River and immersing in Ozark music and art.
- How about a high tech treasure hunting adventure? The latest rave in outdoor sports is geocaching, now available in 40 Arkansas State Parks. It’s free, fun and rewarding!
History & Heritage
- Discover Arkansas history & cultural heritage, when you explore historic homes & buildings, towns, Civil War sites, museums and other budget-friendly destinations.
- Are you ready for an amazing family vacation in the Arkansas outdoors? Arkansas State Parks offer exciting outdoor activities such as backpacking, caving, hiking, hang gliding, horseback riding, lake kayaking, mountain biking, river running, rock climbing, snorkeling and much more. Come play outside in Arkansas – and remember to post a photo or two on Pinterest or Instagram and share your experience on Facebook.